Monday, May 21, 2012

Fresh Lake Trout Chowder!

Yummmy!!!   I'm not a huge fan of fish...however tonight I made the tastiest chowder!   Our amazing neighbours Bryan & Karen, went fishing today and brought us back three beautiful rainbow trout....so I had to cook them up, and as I cannot filet a fish to save my life I thought of something I could make, so that my fish filleting skills were not on the 'chopping block'!

I made two batches, as our neighbours do not eat meat, only fish.

I sauteed bacon (only in ours and with ALL of the fat cut off) combined onions, celery and carrots, until fragrant and soft.   In a separate pot I combined cubed red potatoes and whole garlic, then boiled until soft before adding fresh chunks of trout.  I also added 4 crab legs - shell and all, to simmer for 5 minutes.   I then removed the crab legs, pulled the meat out and added just the crab flesh back into the stew.  I then added the saute mixture and cut off fresh corn kernels from the cob to add.  I let simmer away for 30 minutes.  After the soup was flavoured with S&P and fresh lemon balm, I turned off the heat.   I then added evaporated milk to add a creamy goodness!!

And served!!  Very Tasty!!!









1 comment: