Monday, July 2, 2012

Hawaiian Meatballs!

I used to LOVE Hawaiian meatball night....you know how some childhood dinners just make you feel so comforted!  With all this rain, I felt like a warm home cooked 'winter' meal.   I felt like making spaghetti tonight...however, it is not one of my hubby's favs so I thought what else I could make with beef, as we have had a lot of chicken, turkey and fish lately....so Hawaiian meatballs popped into my head and I had to call mom to see what I needed!

I will have to say they turned out amazing!!...Yet not quite how I remember, there is nothing like mom's cooking... -  I'm also.. so not a measurer, and perhaps I rolled my balls a little to large ;-))

It was so so good regardless and here is the family recipe .... shhhhh!  So don't tell anyone ;-))


Ingredients & recipe (I did not list ALL ingredients at beginning so if you are making...read thoroughly ;-)):

1 1/2 lbs  ground beef (I used 1lb extra lean ground beef & 1lb ground turkey)
1/2 C bread crumbs (I used panko)
1/2  C minced onion (or more ;-))
2 tsp Worcestershire
2 TBSP soya sauce ( I used sodium reduced)
2 eggs
S&P


Mix together and form into balls

In ziplock combine:

1/4 C flour
any other spices you would like....I added white pepper and garlic powder, as well as a little smoked paprika.

Coat balls in flour mixture and then place in a pan of hot oil - to brown all sides.


Open 1 can pineapple chunks (I only had rings)
               -drain off juice

Add pineapple juice, in small saucepan with 1 1/2 C chicken broth - bring to simmer
Add in 3 TBSP of cornstarch - whisk vigorously until smooth

once simmering and smooth add in :

4TBSP of soya
1/4C vinegar
1 C finely chopped green & red peppers (I did not use)
1/2 C honey or brown sugar   (I used 4TBSP brown sugar)
Heat mixture


Place browned meatballs into oven dish, pour over sauce, add pineapple chucks or slices.  Bake at 425 for 7 minutes, turn meatballs and bake for another 7 - or until cooked throughout.

I then broiled my meatballs for that golden brown topping....YUMMMY!!!


Here are a few pics of my attempt ;-))



My hubby took these pics of me mixing away.... 



Flour coated balls browning in hot oil.



I paired our hawaiian meatballs with simmered beet greens from my farm adventure.




This was the sunset from our deck after dinner!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment